Thursday, March 10, 2011

Basing Tutorial!

DISCLAIMER : BLATANT MOLD LINES. I WAS A NOOB WHEN I BUILT THESE. I'M SORRY! :(


So I'm finally getting around to basing some of the first models that I've painted since picking up the hobby; my old, fugly genestealers. I've based a fair number of my nids now and each time I've learned a way to improve upon it, so I'll heap my trial-and-error process upon you now. Learn from my mistakes!

Step 1 : MATERIALS


I use three layers of sand/pebble/rock for my basing.  Simple sand from my back yard which has been sifted to remove any debris and doo-doo. The other two bags I acquired from my local wal-mart. I just stumbled across them, and seeing the potential, picked them up.  I'm sure something similar can be found at a local hobby store/hardware store.

Besides that we've got regular white glue, and I use citadel's grass.  The paints I use are Scorched Brown, Graveyard Earth, and Vermin Brown.

Step 2 : Painting up the base scorched brown.


Not much to add here. I add an initial coat of scorched brown before I glue on any basing components. This is to ensure that once the other layers go on there are no specks of white that shine through.


Step 3 : BIG OL' RAWKS



When I apply glue to my base I generally use my sculpting tool to spread it out so it's not a thick glob across the  base.

This is something that took a few attempts at basing to sink in. The largest 'rocks' on your base need to be glued on first. That way when the other layers are said and done the irregular, larger rocks protrude from beneath the rest. It makes the base look more natural.

I simply take a small number of these irregular pebbles and drop them onto the base, let them lay where they land, making sure to push any that are hanging over the edge fully onto the base.


Step 4 : SAND!




I allow roughly one minute for the glue to harden up just enough to lodge my first layer of rocks in place before dipping the base into my bowl of sand, forming the dirt of the base.  Submerge the base, lift it out, tap the model and let the excess drop back in and you're good.

Step 5 : Pebbles!



I give a good amount of time between steps 4 and 5. Atleast 30 minutes to an hour for the first layer to really get locked in with the glue.

I lay on another layer of glue atop my sand and submerge the base again in my larger bag of pebbles. Removing it, tapping it to remove excess once again.

I give the bases plenty of time to fully harden again.


Step 5 : Brown ink


Once the glue has locked my layers in, I break out my scorched brown again.  I water it down very heavily, load up one of my larger brushes and wash my base in it. The nice thing about watering it down so heavily is that it will actually give some contrast to the rocks. You're essentially inking it.

Step 6 : Dry Brushing 1/2


At this point I break out my worn out drybrush.  I load it up with vermin brown, brush the majority of it off, and run it roughly across the pebbles, giving it a nice layer of depth.  I personally knock the drybrushing out pretty quick. I leave more paint on the brush than I would in conventional drybrushing, allowing the top of my pebbles a pretty obvious layer of paint.

Step 7 : Dry Brushing 2/2


Step 7 is a repeat of 6, except I use graveyard earth to add another layer to my bases.


Step 8 : Grassin' that junk.



With my current nid's theme, I add some grass amongst the common brown dirt/rocks.  Something I've learned from working multiple bases is this : Don't just place a blob of glue onto the base and toss some grass on it. It causes it to look raised and unnatural.

I tend to drop a fair-sized amount of glue with some very tiny dots scattered around it, I've found that this makes the base look most natural when compared to my other attempts. Always take something and spread the glue around, making it as flat amongst the base as you can.





Take a pinch of grass-flock in your fingers and allow it to fall over the glue on the base. Turn it over, tap the model to remove excess once again, and you've got a simple but nice looking base.

That's it for me for now. I'm working towards finishing my Tervigon conversion's paint job, so I hope to have it up soon. 

Hope to be posting more frequently, later!

1 comment: