Monday, November 15, 2010

Pinning. Basing. Progress.

My procrastination finally came to an end on the Trygon's tail. It needed to be pinned in order to interchange the ends of the tails, and I finally did it. It was my first pinning and I entirely expected to ruin it in some way or another.

Turned out perfectly, actually. It makes a nice, snug fit and took a few minutes to do. Joy!


After a lot of failed experimentation I think I've reached what  will be my basing standard for the rest of the army. I see it fitting for the ground on which the great devourer treads to be flourishing, full of life. The Tyranids scour the face of planets, destroying any living inhabitants, ensuring that their massive hive ships are able to attach themselves to the surface. Free to suck every speck of bio-matter from it's prey-world without any danger. So i've gone with a pretty lively base. Full of grass, dirt, rocks. A fresh, succulent planet from which the hive fleet can fuel it's quest to sate the unending hunger of the great devourer.

Enough with the fluffiness. A layer of sand. A layer of small pebbles and rock. Saturate it in a dark brown ink (bestial brown). Once dried, I drybrush a layer of snakebite leather, followed by a layer of graveyard earth.
Then a few layers of static grass to give it some depth. I think it looks pretty good! A massive improvement over my previous attempts.



I also finished my second Zoey. So I have a pretty pair.


2 comments:

  1. I always find it odd that everyone always makes their bases so...rocky. Have you ever walked into a meadow? Its usually just grass. Or it is just rocks, never this weird mix of the two.
    Anyway, those Zoeys look solid man, even if the bastards always kill my tanks. How is the termagon or whatever that infernal thing is called coming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If a base is either rocks or grass exclusively it looks boring.

    I haven't touched my Tervigon this week. I'm continuing to work on the Trygon and other model's bases. I've been slacking hard on the bases in general.

    ReplyDelete